Monday, April 20, 2009

Unit 3- Lecture 3.

Tonight's key topics:
  • Postmodernism rejects Grand Narrative, Enlightenment, and Modernism.
  • Milton Glaser: design with humor.
  • New Wave typography of the 1970's.
  • Weingart starts use of MAC computers for experiements.
  • Paula Scher: appropriation & copying of styles.
  • End of History and Death of the Author.
  • CSA design archive
In todays design world Postmodernism is still strong I believe. The idea of Appropriation is still an issue as well. Some people have the idea that copyright laws protect everything, but people still reuse ideas, leaving the original designer forgotten pretty often without any consequences. Advertisers bring back older ideas to sell new products the same way. Every day I go through probably 25-30 blogs looking at inspiration, I don't try to ever "copy" any of this work, but I'm sure it finds its way into my designs in all sorts of ways, but as long as I make it my own I feel its alright. Also I think that Jeff Koons is an amazing artist and shouldn't be blamed for stealing anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment